Testing for Authenticity - Protecting Your Rights as a Consumer
The UMF designation and rating is a highly sought-after and well-respected quality trademark.
After the honey has been packed UMF Manuka Honey must undergo a number of tests to show it is natural, unadulterated Manuka Honey and that the grading claim on the label is true.
This is the Official UMF Certificate verifying the authenticity of SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey, 250gm jar, batch 18959664:
1.Testing to identify genuine Manuka Honey
- Manuka honey is made up of several compounds that are found only in the honey from New Zealand's manuka bush (Leptospermum scoparium)
- One of the most dominant compounds is Leptosperin
- Leptosperin is a good indicator of the "manukaness" of honey
- UMF Manuka Honey must contain Leptosperin (minimum level 100)
- The higher the UMF grading, the higher the level of Leptosperin
- The Leptosperin level must be at least 390 for honey to be graded UMF16
- SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey has Leptosperin level 936 showing it is really high grade manuka. All our honey is produced by our bees from manuka areas which we own and in which we have had hives for the past 40 years.
2. Testing to show honey is not adulterated:
- HMF increases when honey is heated
- UMF Manuka Honey must have HMF below 40
- SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey has HMF level 18 showing we do not damage our honey with heat or adulteration
3. Testing for UMF grading levels:
- Manuka Honey is tested for DHA and for methyglyoxal (MG) as these are present in Manuka Honey and help assess the grading level of the honey
- The combined results of all four tests (Leptosperin test + MG test + DHA test + HMF test) show the grading level for the honey
- To be graded UMF16 Manuka Honey must have Leptosperin at least 390 and MG must be at least 572 and HMF must be less than 40
- SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey far exceeds all quality requirements: UMF17.6 and Leptosperin 936 and MG 668 and HMF 18
Test results for SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey
Test results verify the authenticity of SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey - it is genuine natural, unadulterated Manuka Honey and is entitled to bear the quality mark UMF16+. The results for the honey we currently sell are as follows:
1. Batch 18959664. 250gm jar: Click here to see Official Test Report
- Leptosperin 936
- MG 658
- DHA 1700
- HMF 17
- UMF grading 17.4
2. Batch 189596645. 500gm jar: Click here to see Official Test Report
- Leptosperin 936
- MG 668
- DHA 1680
- HMF 18
- UMF grading 17.6
SummerGlow Apiaries Ltd are licensed to use the quality trademark. Licence number 1001.
More About UMF - A Quality Trademark Protecting Your Rights as a Consumer
SummerGlow UMF16+ Manuka Honey - UMF Licence Number 1001
- Totally natural unadulterated New Zealand manuka honey
- Complies with the rigorous standards of quality and purity set by the UMF Honey Association
- Guaranteed to have very high grading and level of the property unique to manuka honey
- Powerfully supports the body's natural health and healing process
- Produced by SummerGlow Apiaries and sent daily directly to customers in NZ, UK, USA, Australia, Japan, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, worldwide.
Available Direct from the Producers - 100% New Zealand made genuine UMF16+ Manuka Honey - Order Now
Make sure the honey you purchase is Genuine New Zealand UMF Manuka Honey
Look for the name UMF clearly stated on the front of the jar.
Look for the number following the name UMF:
- 5 - 9 are very low levels
- 10 -15 are useful levels
- 16+ and over are superior high grade levels
The UMF grading system appraises natural markers found in Manuka Honey, and assures purity and quality
Did you know Active Manuka Honey is not the same as Genuine UMF Manuka Honey? The special and unique property to which the research refers is not in most manuka honey, not even in most Active Manuka Honey. Find out why here.
More about The New Zealand Honey Research Discovery
Checklist to Identify Genuine UMF Manuka Honey
Genuine UMF Manuka Honey must comply with all six of the following criteria:
- It has the quality trademark UMF clearly stated on the front label
- It is packed into jars and labelled in New Zealand.
- It is from a New Zealand company licensed to use the quality trademark UMF
- It has the New Zealand UMF Licensee's brand name and licence number on the label
- It has a rating number alongside the trademark UMF. A number on its own does not identify genuine UMF Manuka Honey.
- It is endorsed by the Official UMF Release Document which states the test results for the batch number shown on the jar label. The Official UMF Release Document presents all four tests (Leptosperin test + MG test + DHA test + HMF test).
Click here to see the test report for Summerglow UMF16 + Manuka Honey 500gm jar
Order Genuine UMF Manuka Honey Here
The UMF Guarantee
The name UMF is a guarantee that the honey being sold is natural unadulterated manuka honey and has the special manuka property to at least the grading level indicated on the label.
Important Note: Only New Zealand companies are licensed to use the name UMF. Do not be misled by overseas companies claiming they have UMF honey under their own brand - they are not licensed to use the trademark UMF.